- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) yeast
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) lukewarm water
- 1 x 85 g can Lucky Star Smoked Mussels, drained
- 1 x 400 g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 2-cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into dice
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable/fish stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ bunch spinach, stalks removed and roughly chopped
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in the water and mix well.
- Knead the dough on a well-floured surface until smooth and elastic. Set aside in an oiled bowl to rise; this will take about 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring a small amount of water to the boil, lower the bowl into the pot and cover with a large pot lid. Cook for 45–50 minutes. Turn out and allow to cool before cutting into wedges.
- While the bread is steaming, heat a little oil in a medium pot. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and bay leaves and cook over a medium heat until the onions have softened and turned golden.
- Add the red pepper, stock and lemon juice, bring to the boil and add the diced potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the spinach and stir until just wilted. Remove from heat and stir in the drained mussels and pilchards along with the sauce from the can.