- 1 x 400 g can Lucky Star
- Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 x 85 g can Lucky Star Smoked Mussels, drained
- 4 medium prawns, deveined and shelled (optional)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 small calamari tubes, sliced into rings
- 100 g butter
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) crushed garlic
- ½ cup (125 ml) vegetable stock
- ½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley, for garnish
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Drain the pilchards and separate them; set the sauce aside.
- Place the pilchards, mussels and prawns into one large ovenproof dish. Season generously with pepper. (The calamari will be added towards the end of the cooking time.)
- In a small saucepan, heat a little of the butter and fry the leeks until tender.
- Stir in the tomato and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the remaining butter, stock, wine and reserved sweet chilli pilchard sauce and bring to the boil.
- Pour the sauce over the seafood, cover with the lid or with foil and bake for 10–15 minutes.
- Add the calamari, immersing it in the sauce. Replace the lid and bake for a further 5 minutes. All the seafood should be cooked until tender but not overdone.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and serve with plenty of crusty bread to dunk into the sauce.