- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- ½ tub chunky cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped spring onions
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 12 slices white or whole-wheat toast
- Flake the pilchards in their sauce with a fork in a bowl. Mix in the cottage cheese, lemon juice, mayonnaise, parsley, celery, spring onion and peanuts, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pile the pilchard and cottage cheese mixture onto the toast and serve as a snack or light lunch.
This makes an excellent sandwich filling with fresh bread or bread rolls, and it’s delicious on salty biscuits to serve as snacks. Another idea is to pile it into avocado halves.
Peanuts are highly nutritious and very good body-builders, as they contain protein, have a high fat content and contain some of the B-vitamins.