- 125ml (½ cup) brown rice
- 125ml (½ cup) brown lentils
- 500ml (2 cup) water
Pilchard, Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Curry
- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli
- Canola oil for frying
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) chopped garlic
- 5ml (1 tsp) curry powder
- 2 small sweet potatoes, washed and cut into small chunks
- 400g pumpkin, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 410g can chopped tomatoes
- Milled black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- Place the rice, lentils and water in a medium saucepan, cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice and lentils are cooked and the water has been absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Tip the pilchards into a bowl. Break the fish into large chunks in the sauce with a fork.
- Heat a few drops of oil in a non-stick pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft.
- Stir in the curry powder. Add the sweet potato, pumpkin and tomatoes, and season with pepper. Cover and cook gently for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the pilchards and heat through.
- Set aside some of the coriander leaves for garnishing. Chop the rest and mix into the curry.
- Transfer the lentil rice and curry into a serving dish and garnish with the reserved coriander leaves.
Lentils come in a variety of colours, but brown lentils retain their shape best when used in curries, stews and casseroles. For a milder curry, use Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato instead.
Sweet potatoes are nutritious, high in fiber, very filling and have a delicious sweet taste.