- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 3-4 leeks, sliced or 1 large onion, chopped
- Oil for frying
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen or canned peas, drained
- 1 cup frozen or canned whole kernel corn, drained
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 slices bread
- Butter or margarine for spreading
- Heat the oven to 200ºc. Grease a casserole. Flake the pilchards in their sauce with a fork.
- Lightly brown the leek or onion in a little oil in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour and milk until well blended.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, stir in the pilchards, peas and corn, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon into the casserole.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and spread the slices with butter or margarine. Cut diagonally in half and arrange on top of the pilchard mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes until the pie is hot, then switch on the grill until the bread is golden brown. Serve with sliced or quartered tomato.
Pilchards contain fatty acids such as Omega-3. Omega 3 oils in the diet are beneficial to all ages.