- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 1 red pepper, cut in half
- 1 yellow pepper, cut in half
- 1 green pepper, cut in half
- 2 cups noodles (macaroni, twists or small shells)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 250g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Drain the pilchards; keep the sauce. Heat the oven grill. Place the peppers, cut side down, onto a roasting pan and place under the grill for about 15 minutes until the skins are charred.
- Cover with a clean, damp towel and set aside for about 10 minutes to cool.
- Remove and discard the skins and seeds, then slice the peppers.
- Cook the noodles as instructed in lightly salted water until cooked but still firm to the bite. Drain.
- Mix together the oil, vinegar and basil in a large bowl, then stir in the sauce from the can of pilchards.
- Add the warm pasta, sliced roasted peppers, mushrooms, spring onions and flaked pilchards. Season with salt and pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Toss the salad to mix, and serve immediately or cover and chill in fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
Pasta comes in numerous shapes and varieties with over two-hundred different forms.