- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups milk
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Extra oil for frying
Pilchard, Pepper And Corn Filling
- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1 green or red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup frozen or canned whole kernel corn, drained
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges for squeezing
To Make The Pancakes
- Sift together the flour and salt. Mix in the milk, oil and eggs to make a smooth batter. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a small frying pan, pour in a thin film of batter and cook until lightly browned. Flip the pancake and lightly cook the other side. As the pancakes are cooked, layer them interleaved with waxed paper.
To Make The Filling
- Flake the pilchards in their sauce with a fork.
- Fry the onion, green or red pepper and corn in a little oil in a frying pan for about 5 minutes until soft; don’t overcook the vegetables, they should still be crunchy.
- Add the pilchards and simmer uncovered for about 2 minutes until the sauce has reduced to a thick paste. Season well with salt, pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Spoon the filling onto the pancakes, roll up and serve warm with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Another way of presenting this dish is to layer the pancakes and the filling, rather than rolling them up.