- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 200g macaroni
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red or green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2–3 spinach leaves, trimmed and finely shredded
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- Tomato sauce from the can of pilchards
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- Drain the pilchards over a bowl; keep the sauce. Roughly flake the fish.
- Cook the macaroni as instructed in lightly salted water until cooked but still firm to the bite. Drain.
- Drain well in a colander, then tip into a large bowl. Mix in the carrots, spring onions, pepper and spinach, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss well.
If you prefer a thicker dressing add a spoonful of mayonnaise to the dressing. To add colour to the salad and make it go further, add a 400g can of drained whole kernel corn.