- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli
- Canola oil for frying
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) chopped garlic
- 1 green chilli, seeded and sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) curry powder
- Milled black pepper
- 4 small loaves whole-wheat bread, or 1 large loaf cut into quarters
- Drain the pilchards and keep the sauce. Break the fish into large chunks.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and fry the onions and garlic until golden. Add the chilli, tomatoes and curry powder, and season with pepper.
- Stir in the sauce from the can of pilchards, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pilchards and heat through.
- Slice the tops off the loaves, hollow out some of the bread and spoon in the pilchard filling.
Garlic is a good alternative to using salt to maximise flavour in this dish. For a milder flavour, you can use Lucky Star Pilchards Tomato Sauce.
400g Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce are a great alternative to Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli.