- 12 large firm, ripe tomatoes
- 425g can Lucky Star Middlecut
- 2 firm, ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 12 black olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- 60ml (4 Tbsp) whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- Milled black pepper
- Heat the oven to 160°C. Lightly spray a roasting dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the stalk ends off the 12 tomatoes and set aside to make the ‘lids’. Carefully remove the pith and seeds. Discard the pips and chop the pith (it will be added to the filling).
- Break the middlecut into chunks in the sauce with a fork. Mix in the chopped tomato pith and the remaining filling ingredients. Season with black pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the tomato cavities and replace the ‘lids. Place the tomatoes in the roasting dish and roast for 20 minutes. Serve with a mixed salad and crusty bread.
This makes a tasty lunch or light supper dish. The tomatoes may be filled and made ready for roasting up to a day ahead. Roast just before serving.
Substitute the dried thyme for any dried herb of your choice. Alternatively, replace the dried thyme with 30ml (2 Tbsp) of chopped fresh thyme for a fresher tasting dish.
This is a great dish for a crowd of friends.