Maize Meal Patties
- 2½ cups vegetable stock or water
- 1½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1½ cups maize meal
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Oil for frying
- 410g can tomatoes, chopped in their sauce
- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, finely sliced
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup soft breadcrumbs
To Make The Patties
- Bring the stock or water to the boil with the dried herbs and a little salt and pepper in a medium saucepan. Tip in the maize meal and whisk in quickly. Cover and cook gently for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and butter or margarine and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven griller. Form the maize meal into eight flattish patties and place onto a greased baking tray.
- Grill on both sides until golden brown.
To Make The Tomato Sauce
- Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil in a medium saucepan until soft.
- Add the chopped tomato and season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens slightly.
To Make The Topping
- Flake the pilchards in their sauce with a fork. Fry the onion and green pepper in a little oil in a medium saucepan until soft. Add the pilchards and heat through.
- Spoon the pilchard mixture onto the patties. Mix together the grated cheese and breadcrumbs, sprinkle on top and grill until golden brown. Spoon the tomato sauce alongside each serving, and serve with a salad.
Maize Meal is rich in carbohydrates, is a great source of iron and a good source of Corn Oil which has antioxidant properties.