- 30ml (2 Tbsp) canola oil
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 700g potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 500ml (2 cups) low-sodium vegetable stock (recipe below)
- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli Sauce
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) snipped chives
- 250ml (1 cup) whole-wheat or rye breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5ml (½ tsp) peppercorns
- Place all the ingredients into a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook for approximately 1 hour. Cool and strain.
Hot Chilli Pilchard & Potato Pan
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat and cook the onions gently for about 10 minutes until golden and soft and to bring out their sweetness.
- Add the potatoes, then pour in the stock. Cover and cook for 15 minutes until done.
- Break up the pilchards in their sauce with a fork and add to the pan with the chives. Mix well and heat through.
- Remove from the stove, sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and place under a hot oven griller until the crumbs are golden and crunchy. Serve from the pan.
Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato are a great substitute for the Pilchards in Hot Chilli Sauce. Watch the oven griller carefully as the breadcrumbs can burn easily. There is no need to peel the potatoes, as the skin contains important nutrients.