- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-cm chunks
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 x 425 g cans Lucky Star Middlecut, drained
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 x 340 ml bottle of beer, at room temperature
- 1 bunch spinach, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) cornflour mixed into a paste with ½ Tbsp (7.5 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 10–12 minutes, until soft.
3. Drain in a colander and return to the pot.
4. Add the butter, milk and seasoning. Mash until smooth.
5. In a large ovenproof dish, place the carrots, celery, lemon juice and zest, chilli (if using), parsley, beer, spinach and seasoning. Add the cornflour paste and mix everything together well.
6. Lay the middlecut evenly throughout the dish and top with half the grated cheese.
7. Spread the mashed potato evenly over the top of the fish and vegetables. Top with the remaining cheese and grind a little black pepper on top.
8. Place in the preheated oven for 35–40 minutes or until cooked through and crispy and golden on top.