- 2 x 400 g cans Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 24 dried apricots, soaked in boiling water to rehydrate
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) mild and spicy curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) smooth apricot jam
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) paprika
- 4 large potatoes, washed and cut into wedges
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Drain the pilchards and reserve the sauce.
- Lay the pilchards on a plate or tray. Cut each fish in half to create 2–3-cm cubes. Mix together the marinade ingredients with the reserved sweet chilli sauce. Pour over the fish to marinate for at least an hour.
- Mix the oil and paprika together in a bowl and then toss in the potato wedges to coat evenly. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Lay the wedges on a lined baking tray. Roast for 20–25 minutes or until they are cooked through, golden and lightly crisp on the edges.
- To assemble the skewers, separate the onion pieces and pair with the apricots; allow for two sets of onion and apricot per skewer. Thread one set of onion and apricot onto all 12 skewers. Add a chunk of pilchard, followed by another set of onion and apricot, finishing with another chunk of pilchard.
- Place the finished skewers on a lined baking tray and place on the top rack of the oven above the potato wedges.
- Bake for 5–10 minutes or until heated through and the marinade starts to bubble.
- Finish off under a hot oven grill and brown for 2–3 minutes.