Tuna Cakes with Tartare Sauce
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 x 170g cans Lucky Star Tuna, well drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- milled black pepper
- canola oil for frying
- lemon wedges for squeezing
- 125ml (½ cup) fat-free smooth cottage cheese
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) English mustard
- 5ml (1 tsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 5ml (1 tsp) snipped chives
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) chopped gherkins
Tartare Sauce Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and chill.
Cook the potatoes in boiling water until soft. Drain well and mash. Mix in the tuna, eggs, onion and parsley, and season with pepper. Form the mixture into eight patties.
Heat a non-stick pan and add a dash of oil. Fry the patties until golden brown, flip and cook the other side.
Arrange the tuna cakes on serving plates or one large platter. Serve with tartare sauce and with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Makes 8 cakes / Serves 4–8
Switch out the tuna for Lucky Star Smoked Sardines if you like. This is a great dish for a lunch served with a large leafy green salad. If you are expecting a crowd, make the patties half the size and dollop a little tartare sauce on top of each baby cake. Serve on a platter to impress your guests. Baby cakes also make a fun treat for kiddies’ meals.