- 1 x 400 g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tortillas/wraps (or a pack of 10 soft-shell tacos)
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 baby red cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 x 410 g can whole kernel corn
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- ½ Tbsp (7.5 ml) olive oil
- Drain the pilchards and separate them. Reserve the sauce.
- Heat a little of the oil in a saucepan, and add the onion, garlic and cumin. Cook until softened and browned.
- Add the sauce from the pilchard can, the salt and pepper and stir until slightly reduced.
- Remove from heat, add half the lemon juice and gently stir into the pilchards. Set aside and keep warm.
- If using larger tortillas or wraps, cut out 3 x 9-cm tacos from each. In a clean, dry frying pan, heat the tacos until slightly browned and puffed up but not crispy. Lay out on a clean surface.
- To each taco add a handful of shredded lettuce and red cabbage and a few slices of avocado.
- Top with a spoonful each of the pilchard mixture and salsa. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Drain and rinse the corn. Mix together the spring onions, corn, tomatoes, coriander, chilli, remaining lemon juice and zest. Stir in the olive oil and serve with the fish tacos.