- 1 cup brown or white rice
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 litre water
- 2 tsp salt
- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchard in Sweet Chilli
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green, red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- 1 tsp curry powder (more or less, to taste)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 small butternut, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 410g can tomatoes, chopped in their sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh coriander leaves
To Make The Lentil Rice
- Place all the ingredients into a medium saucepan, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice and lentils are cooked and all the water has been absorbed. Stir occasionally.
To Make The Casserole
- Break up the pilchards into chunks in their sauce with a fork. Fry the onion, garlic and green pepper in a little oil until soft in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the curry powder, then add the potatoes. Cover and cook gently until they are half done.
- Add the butternut and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently until the potatoes and butternut are soft.
- Stir in the pilchards and heat through.
- Set aside some of the coriander leaves for garnishing, and chop the rest. Mix the chopped coriander into the casserole. Garnish the casserole with the reserved coriander leaves and serve with lentil rice.
Butternut is high in potassium. The health benefits of potassium include relief from stroke, blood pressure, heart and kidney disorders, and anxiety and stress. It helps to enhance muscle strength, metabolism, water balance, electrolytic functions and nervous system.