- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 400g spaghetti
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Oil for frying
- 410g can tomatoes, chopped in their sauce
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp paprika (optional)
- Salt, ground black pepper, sugar
- Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil in a medium saucepan until lightly browned.
- Add the tomato, mixed herbs and paprika, and season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Cook briskly uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Roughly flake the pilchards in their sauce with a fork, add to the tomato sauce and heat through.
- While preparing the sauce, cook the spaghetti until tender in salted boiling water with a dash of oil added to prevent the spaghetti from sticking together, and to stop the water from boiling over. Drain in a colander, then tip into a warm bowl and toss in a little oil to separate the strands.
- Top each serving of spaghetti with pilchard tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Serve with salad and whole-wheat bread.
Lucky Star Pilchards in Chilli are also delicious in this recipe, and a finely sliced red or green chilli will add an extra touch of heat to the sauce.