- 1 x 400 g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
- 250 g penne pasta
- Olive oil, for coating pasta
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 x 85 g can mushroom slices
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) dried Italian herbs
- 1 packet (50 g) pitted olives
- ½ cup (125 ml) pickled peppers (optional)
- 1 sachet (50 g) tomato paste
- 1–2 Tbsp (15–30 ml) water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1–2 Tbsp (15–30 ml) grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Cook the pasta in salted water until just soft (al dente). Drain and toss back into the pot with a little olive oil to prevent the pasta from sticking together.
- In a saucepan, heat a little vegetable oil and add the mushrooms and dried herbs.
- Add the olives and peppers (if using) and heat through.
- Stir in the tomato paste and loosen the sauce with a little water.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in the pilchards with their sauce. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Mix together the pasta and pilchard sauce, spoon into four deep serving bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.