- 425g can Lucky Star Middlecut
- 750g pumpkin, peeled and pipped
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red or green chilli, sliced and seeded (optional)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 410g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- Break the middlecut into large chunks in the sauce with a fork. Discard the bones. Cut the pumpkin into small blocks.
- Heat a little oil in a medium saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until golden. Stir in the chilli, paprika, cinnamon and ginger, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, pumpkin and stock, cover and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until the pumpkin is soft. Uncover and cook briskly until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir the middlecut gently into the goulash with the yoghurt and heat through. Serve with rice and vegetables.
Pumpkin is very nutritious and has been enjoyed for centuries in southern Africa. If possible, purchase them whole, because the flavour and nourishment reduces when they are cut.
This goulash is equally delicious with Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato.