- 1 cup thick, plain yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ green chilli, sliced, seeded and very finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- ½ cup cake flour
- 1 egg
- Lemon wedges for squeezing
- Mix the yoghurt, garlic, chilli, lemon juice and coriander in a bowl, and season with cumin and a little salt and pepper. Cover and chill.
- Drain the pilchards. Keep them whole.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly beat the egg in another shallow dish. Dip each pilchard into beaten egg, then coat with seasoned flour.
- Shallow fry in hot oil until crisp and golden brown, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Arrange the crispy pilchards on a plate with lemon wedges for squeezing, and offer the yoghurt dip in a bowl.
Crispy Pilchards are also delicious with chips or mashed potato.
Lucky Star pilchards contain minerals, vitamins and trace elements which are essential for good health.