Minced Lucky Star Pilchard Vetkoek
1 x 410g tin LUCKY STAR MINCED PILCHARDS, drained
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
45ml curry powder
25ml fruit chutney
30ml tomato paste
5ml worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups cake flour
1 packet instant yeast
650ml lukewarm water
Oil for deep frying
- Sift the flour in a large mixing bowl and add the yeast and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Add the water and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes or until doubled in size. Knock dough back down and break off pieces of dough to shape into balls. Leave them in a warm place again on a greased baking tray covered with a cloth until they have doubled in size.
- Then deep fry each ball in oil until golden brown and cooked through, 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm filled with the warm pilchard mince.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic. Fry until soft and fragrant. Add the curry powder and LUCKY STAR MINCED PILCHARDS. Allow the mixture to completely heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as the chutney, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and water. Stir well to combine.
- Cover partially and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Once cooked keep warm if your vetkoeks are not ready yet.