Mackerel Dumplings with a Spicy Asian Dipping Sauce
1 x 400g tin Lucky Star Middlecut in water, cleaned and flaked
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1 ½ Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. oil
1Tbsp. sesame oil
1Tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped
¾ cup spring onions, white and green part, chopped
16 round dumpling sheets
Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
6 Tbsp. fish sauce
6 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 red chili, finely chopped
2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
4 tsp. fresh coriander, finely chopped
- In a small bowl combine the fish, salt, white pepper, soy sauce, oil and sesame oil.
- Mix well to create the seasoning liquid, add the fish and seasoning mixture to a food processor and pulse to form a paste.
- Mix in the ginger and spring onions. To develop the flavour wrap with cling wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with greased baking paper.
- For each dumpling hold a wrapper in a slightly cupped hand and scoop about 1 tablespoon of filling and place just a bit off center. Then press and shape it into a flat mold. Fold the sides, pleat and press to enclose to create a half moon type shape.
- Place the dumpling on the baking tray and repeat for the rest of the wrappers and filling.
- When ready, steam the dumplings over boiling water for about 8 minutes or until slightly puffed and somewhat translucent.
- While steaming, make the dipping sauce by combining all the ingredients together and mixing well.
- When dumplings are cooked serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
Makes 32 Dumplings