Lucky Star Savory Waffles Topped with “braised” Pilchards
“braised” Pilchard and Tomato:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
10g tomato paste
1 x 400g tin pilchards with juices
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 ¾ cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup butter
1 cup milk
½ cup water
- For the “braised” pilchards heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the onion until they soften. Add the garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and sauté with the onions for about 4 minutes.
- Add about 75ml of water to the frying pan.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more liquid if the mixture looks too dry.
- Add the pilchards with their sauce, the salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for about 2 minutes until the pilchards are heated through.
- In the meantime, start with the waffles by preheating a waffle iron on medium heat.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk in the rosemary and cheddar cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, milk and water.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and quickly fold together just until the flour is moistened.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray and pour in the batter.
- Cook until steam is no longer rising from the waffle iron.
- Top with the pilchard mixture and serve immediately.